FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT'S A STRATEGIC BATTLE CARD GAME?
A strategic card battle game (sometimes called a “collectible card game” or CCG) is a card game that uses collectible trading cards to allow players to fight against one another in a contest of strategy and skill. Cards are printed with characters, skills or powers that can be utilized within the game’s rules to defeat an opponent. Skylanders Battlecast utilizes the world-famous Skylanders characters to provide an all-new game experience for Skylanders fans.
HOW DO I TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A COMMON CARD, A RARE, AN EPIC, AND AN ULTIMATE CARD?
Battlecast cards are classified as Common, Rare, Epic, and Ultimate. This designation not only indicates how difficult a particular card is to find, but also how powerful it is in the game when scanned into the Battlecast app.
- Common cards can be identified by the grey symbol on the bottom middle of the cards and when scanned into the Battlecast app will be added to the player’s Collection at level 1.
- Rare cards can be identified by the blue symbol on the bottom middle of the cards.
- Epic cards can be identified by the purple symbol on the bottom middle of the cards.
- Ultimate cards can be identified by the gold symbol on the bottom middle of the cards.
WHAT DO ALL THESE CARD DESIGNATIONS MEAN? WHAT DO THEY DO IN GAME?
- Character cards
Character cards represent the warriors you’ll take with you into combat. They bear the likenesses of classic Skylanders characters such as Spyro, Snap Shot, and Storm Blade. A game of Battlecast will require the player to select three Skylanders character cards to take into battle.
- Elemental cards
These are various attacks and effects that can be cast by any character. Each is linked to one of the ten Skylanders elements
- Character-specific cards
These are special powers that can only be used in combat by a specific Skylander.
- Non-Elemental cards
These are attacks and effects that can be used by any character. While usually not as powerful as elemental spells, they have the benefit of not being element-specific and can slip through defenses designed to block elemental powers.
- Gear cards
Gear cards are devices that are attached to a specific character and apply specific affects only to that character. A character can only wear one piece of Gear at a time. Active Gear will be destroyed when a new piece of Gear is applied to the character.
- Relic cards
Relics are powerful objects that are played on the battlefield that place some sort of global effect on the battle. Each team of three Skylanders can only place down have one active Relic at a time. Relics also have their own Life counters and can be targeted just like enemy Skylanders.
IF THERE ARE DIGITAL CARDS AVAILABLE, WHY WOULD I WANT TO PURCHASE A PHYSICAL CARD AND SCAN IT INTO MY GAME?
Physical cards have value well beyond their utility in the game itself. Here are some of the things you can do with physical cards that cannot be done with digital cards:
- Physical cards are collectible, meaning that some will be more common while others will be very rare. Physical cards packs may include special rare “foil cards” that are not only valuable; they have special benefits when scanned into the game.
- Skylanders Battlecast uses Augmented Reality technology to bring physical cards to life when they’re scanned into the game. In addition, that same technology allows you to have two cards duel in AR when you scan in two physical cards together.
- Cards can be upgraded when you scan in a duplicate version of that card. Any card upgraded to level 10 unlocks a silver version of that card. A gold foil card will automatically unlock the level 20 version of that card.